Click here to view important information about Water Billing online payments.
Select Page

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a red-light running violation?

A red light running violation occurs when a motorist enters an intersection after the traffic signal has turned red. Motorists already in the intersection when the signal changes to red, when waiting to turn for example, are not considered red light violators.

Where are the red light cameras located?

Cameras are installed at five intersections based on crash statistics compiled by the Humble Police Department. Each intersection is clearly marked with signs.
Intersections in the City now equipped with red light camera systems are:

  • Westbound FM 1960 Bypass @ US 59
  • Westbound FM 1960 A (1st Street) @ US 59
  • Westbound FM 1960 Bypass @ Whitaker
  • Eastbound FM 1960 Bypass @ Whitaker
  • Westbound FM 1960 Bypass @ North Houston Ave.
  • Eastbound FM 1960 Bypass @ North Houston Ave.
  • Westbound FM 1960 Bypass @ Townsen Rd. (west of freeway)
  • Westbound FM 1960 Bypass @ Townsen Rd. (east of freeway)
  • Eastbound FM 1960 Bypass @ Townsen Rd. (east of freeway)
  • Northbound U.S. 59 @ FM 1960 Bypass

Why did I receive this Notice of Violation?

Based upon images captured by the automated system, your vehicle is alleged to have committed a red light violation. As the owner of the vehicle, the Notice of Violation is mailed to you.

What if the light was yellow?

The safety camera only becomes active once the red light is showing. It will not capture a vehicle if the vehicle enters the intersection prior to the light changing to red. If you entered the intersection on yellow, it is legal to clear the intersection if the light turned red while you were still in the intersection.

What if I am not the driver/owner of the vehicle at the time of the violation?

You may submit a Declaration of Non-liability (click here for a downloadable PDF) if you are in the business of renting or leasing vehicles or if the vehicle was sold or reported stolen at the time of the violation. You may submit a sworn statement to that effect to the administrative adjudication hearing officer to rebut the presumption that you were driving the vehicle at the time of the violation. Using the envelope provided with the Violation, complete and mail a notarized Declaration to:

City of Humble
Violation Processing Center
209 W. Main St.
Mesa AZ 85201

What happens if I ignore the Notice of Violation?

Failure to pay the civil penalty or to contest liability by the due date on the Notice is an admission of liability, and failure to appear at an administrative adjudication hearing after having requested a hearing is an admission of liability and constitutes a waiver of the right to appeal. Failure to pay the civil penalty by the due date on the Notice of Violation shall result in the imposition of a late-payment fee of $25. If the second notice remains unpaid, collections proceedings may continue.

Will I receive any points on my driving record for this violation?

The civil penalty may not be recorded on the owner’s driving record and an arrest warrant may not be issued.

Will my insurance rates be affected?

The civil penalty may not be recorded on the owner’s driving record and an arrest warrant may not be issued.

Is this only a program to generate revenue?

This is a safety program. Automated safety systems have been shown to reduce red-light violations and intersection crashes. Numerous studies throughout the United States and worldwide, as well as the experience of many other cities, indicate significant decreases in red-light running violations and collisions after cameras were installed. Often times, a spill-over effect results from automated enforcement. For example, other intersections not monitored by automated enforcement also see a decrease in violations and accidents because of the presence of enforcement in other areas of the community.

What if I was issued a citation from an officer for the same offense?

The citation issued by a police officer takes precedence over the Notice of Violation. You must appear in court with both notices and the Adjudicative Hearing Officer will take the appropriate actions.

I have received multiple Notices of Violation; do I have to send in a payment for each?

No, you may send one check in one envelope – but you must include coupons for each violation you received. For example, if you received three violation notices, you may send in one check and the three coupons but write each notice number on your check.

What if my check bounces?

You will be responsible for a returned check fee of $25.00 for handling the bounced check – in addition to any late fees and the original civil penalty amount. You will receive a letter from the City of Humble detailing the new amount due.

Can I make payments in installments or set up a payment plan?

Payment plans are not available. If you cannot pay your civil penalty, you must appear in court and speak with an Adjudicative Hearing Officer.

My payment has already been sent; will I still be charged late fees?

Late fees will NOT be assessed if your payment is posted by the due date located on the front of your Notice of Violation. It is recommended that you mail your payment at least five days prior to your due date.

I paid the violation; why did I receive another notice?

The notice you just received could be for additional violations or it could be a second notice which is now a past due notice. If it is a past due notice, chances are that your payment and the notice crossed in the mail. It can take as many as 10 business days to show in the system once it has reached our office. Call 1-866-790-4111 to confirm that your payment was received.

What is the Refund Policy?

A refund check may be issued under the following circumstances:

  • Duplicate and/or overpayment of a Notice of Violation
  • Overpayment of the Notice of Violation as a result of a Hearing or Appeal.

If you feel as though you are entitled to a refund, please submit your request on the Red Light Refund Form which can be obtained at Send the completed form to the address specified on the form.

Do I have to pay my civil penalty the day of the hearing?

You must pay the full civil penalty amount on or before the 31st after a liable judgment.

What happens if I do not pay the Notice of Violation?

Failure to pay the civil penalty or to contest liability within the time allowed will result in a $25 late fee and may result in the County Tax Assessor-Collector refusing to register the vehicle alleged to have been in violation of this ordinance.

I do not believe I ran a red light. Where can I go to view my images and video?

The images and video are available on the Internet at To log on to the site you must enter the Notice Number and the PIN Number located at the top right of your Notice of Violation. If you do not have Internet access, you may view your images at the City of Humble Municipal Court, 315 Bender Street, Humble TX 77338.

I don’t believe I ran a red light and want to discuss my case with someone.

You must request an adjudicative hearing on or before the due date listed on the top and bottom right of your notice in order to request a review of your Notice of Violation before an Administrative hearing officer as detailed in the code of ordinance.

What is an administrative adjudication hearing?

An administrative adjudication hearing is an opportunity in which you may appear in front of a city-appointed officer and discuss the circumstances surrounding your Notice of Violation. You may schedule a hearing to contest the imposition of the civil penalty.

How much do I have to pay for an administrative adjudication hearing?

According to the ordinance, a person who is found liable after an administrative hearing or who requests an administrative hearing and thereafter fails to appear at the time and place of the hearing is liable for administrative hearing costs in the amount of $50.00 in addition to the amount of the civil penalty assessed for the violation. A person who is found liable for a civil penalty after an administrative hearing shall pay the civil penalty and costs within ten (10) days of the determination of liability.

Can I schedule a hearing?

You must schedule a hearing in writing. Sign the coupon located on the bottom back of your Notice of Violation and mail it to the address shown. The signed coupon must be mailed before the due date of your Notice of Violation. You will be notified by mail of the scheduled date and time for your hearing.

I am Handicapped and unable to appear in court for my hearing.

You must respond to your Notice of Violation on or before your due date. If you wish to contest the Notice of Violation, you do not need to appear before an Adjudicative Hearing officer. However you must submit in writing, before your due date, a copy of your disabled placard, the signed coupon located at the bottom of your Notice of Violation, and a written explanation of your actions or concerns. This written explanation will be reviewed and a decision will be issued by mail. Please call Violations Processing Center / Humble Customer Service Center at 1-866-790-4111 for additional information.

Can I make a hearing request over the phone?

No, all requests must be in writing.

Can someone other than me attend the hearing?

Only you or your legal counsel may appear at an adjudicative hearing.

Is there more than one place that I can attend my hearing?


Can I bring a lawyer to the hearing with me?


Under what circumstances can this notice be dismissed?

The City of Humble Code of Ordinance No. 07-635 Sec. 5, Affirmative Defenses, defines 11 reasons that a Notice of Violation issued per Code 07-635 may be dismissed. The reasons are if:

  • The traffic-control signal was not in proper position and sufficiently legible to an ordinarily observant person;
  • The operator of the motor vehicle was acting in compliance with the lawful order or direction of a police officer;
  • The operator of the motor vehicle was part of a funeral procession;
  • The operator of the motor vehicle violated the instructions of the traffic-control signal so as to yield the right-of-way to an immediately approaching authorized emergency vehicle;
  • The motor vehicle was being operated as an authorized emergency vehicle under Chapter 546 of the Texas Transportation Code and that the operator was acting in compliance with that Chapter;
  • The motor vehicle was a stolen vehicle and being operated by a person other than the owner of the vehicle without the effective consent of the owner;
  • The license plate depicted in the recorded image of the violation was a stolen plate and being displayed on a motor vehicle other than the motor vehicle for which the plate had been issued;
  • The motor vehicle was leased, rented or otherwise in the care, custody or control of another person;
  • The presence of ice, snow, unusual amounts of rain or other unusually hazardous road conditions existed that would make compliance with this article and with the traffic-control signal more dangerous under the circumstances than noncompliance;
  • The owner was not the owner of the motor vehicle at the time of the violation; or
  • The owner was arrested, was issued a criminal citation and notice to appear or was issued a warning by a duly authorized peace officer for a violation of section 544.007(d) of the Texas Transportation Code recorded by the photographic traffic enforcement system.

If I disagree with the Adjudicative Hearing Officer’s findings and want to appeal the decision, what do I do?

You may appeal a liable decision by filing a notice of appeal and paying a non-refundable filing fee of $50.00, in person, with the Chief Clerk of the Municipal Courts within 31 days of the Hearing Officer’s findings. Your fine amount must be paid in full before an appeal can be granted.

What is an appeal?

Sec. 8. Appeal
A person who is found liable after a non-judicial administrative hearing may appeal that finding of liability to the municipal court of the City of Humble by filing a notice of appeal with the clerk of the municipal court. The notice of appeal must be filed in writing not later than the 31st day after the date on which the non-judicial administrative hearing officer enters the determination of liability and shall be accompanied by the payment of an appellate fee of fifty dollars and no cents (50.00). Unless the person on or before the filing of the notice of appeal, posts a bond in the amount of the civil penalty and any late fees, an appeal does not stay the enforcement of the civil penalty. An appeal shall be determined by the Municipal Court trial de novo. The affidavits submitted under 7.F shall be submitted to the municipal judge in the trial de novo, and the issues must be proved by a preponderance of the evidence.

How do I know that these violations are valid?

Images of your vehicle were captured and recorded by an Automated Intersection Safety System. You can review your images and video of the actual occurrence online. The images and video were reviewed by several qualified technicians and finally by the Humble Police Department before the alleged civil infraction was affirmed and mailed to you as the registered owner or identified driver. You have the option of contesting the Notice of Violation by requesting in writing an administrative hearing, at which time you may discuss the validity of the images and video captured on the date and time detailed on the Notice of Violation.

What company provides the red light camera program in Humble?

The City of Humble has contracted with American Traffic Solutions Inc. to provide the red light camera enforcement program. ATS will install and maintain all equipment related to this program and process all violations before forwarding the data to the Humble PD for their review and issuance. More information about ATS is available at